Is your preschooler ready to master their ABCs? The ABC letter recognition scavenger hunt makes letter association fun – the best way for littles to learn. Snag this ABC Letter Recognition game printable at the end of the article.
ABC Letter Recognition Scavenger Hunt for Toddlers & Preschoolers
A common question parents ask is, “how can I get my child to recognize letters?”
With fun and play-based learning!
Alphabet letter identification activities for toddlers and preschoolers getting ready for Kindergarten should be fun, and not worksheets or writing activities. Children learn best when engaged in fun.
This ABC letter recognition activity is a scavenger hunt you can repeat many times to help build letter association.
Game Tip: Save the ABC suns you cut out in a plastic bag or envelope so you can do the ABC Indoor Scavenger hunt again (and again, and again!) You’ll only need to print new scorecards and then you’ll be ready to play the next time.
Letter Recognition Games in the Early Years
What age should a child know their letters?
Most children start learning to recognize letters between ages 3 and 4. Most often, you’ll find children learn to recognize the letters in their first name, first.
By the age of 5, most preschoolers and Kindergarteners begin to make sounds for the letter (sound-letter association) such as cat starts with the letter C and sounds like…
Directions for Setting up your Letter Recognition Scavenger Hunt
Cut and place (by taping or setting the letters/suns in spaces so they’re standing up and be visible to a child) these ABC graphics around your classroom or indoor space.
Next, hand each child a scorecard to keep track of the letters they find.
The goal is have them track down all the ABCs on their scorecard.
When the child finds a sun with a letter, they’ll mark the corresponding letter on their scorecard, until they’ve found all the letters hidden around the classroom / house / indoor space.
Here’s what the scorecard looks like:
What You’ll Receive with this Letter Recognition Game Printable
- 4 paged PDF printable including:
- 3 Pages of Individual Letters A – Z on Brightly Colored Sun Graphics
- 1 Page of ABC Scorecards (duplicate as many as needed for the quantity of children / students participating)
> Download the ABC Letter Recognition Scavenger Hunt Now
More Activities for Kids:
- Fun Easter Egg Indoor Hunt Idea: Numbered Egg Scavenger Hunt
- FREE Nature Scavenger Hunt PDF Printable for Kids
- FREE 2-Page PDF Printable Indoor Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- List of 98 Kid-Approved Indoor Activities for Kids on School Break/Closure
- The Best Inside Activities for Entertaining High Energy Kids
- 25 Easy Craft Ideas for Kids to Make at Home (Surprisingly Simple Craft Ideas)
- 100+ Genius Responses for When Your Kid Says “I’m Bored”
- 50 Activities & Experiments to Keep Kids Learning in Summer
- 8 Arts & Craft Projects: Easy Things for Kids to Make and Sell
- Camping with Kids: 21 Camping Games & Activities to Entertain Kids
- Genius Hacks to Make Camping with Kids Fun & Stress-Free
- Creating Screentime Rules for Summer (Free Printable)
- School Break Plan for Parents & Kids